Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Wild Is No Place To Go

An Opinion
This is not my normal style of writing, but it is something different. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions so if you don't like mine then don't listen to it or leave me a comment telling me your opinion of the movie. Into the Wild is the movie that I'm talking about of course. I know it's based on a true story, but I thought the movie could have been so much better. I thought it was actually quite boring, and it felt like forever. I spent like two hours watching that movie, bored out of my mind to find out that he dies because he did what I thought was something stupid! In fact, I have two brothers and a sister who all live in Alaska, and they know that that is not a place to go fooling around. I've been to Alaska, and there is no way that I would go up there just to get away from my family. Even if your life at home isn't good. Christopher McCandless is guy who I thought was very selfish and foolish. He only thought about himself and never the people around him. Without knowing he hurt his mother, father, sister, friends, and the people he met throughout his journey. Some people said they liked the movie and found it interesting, but I personally didn't find one thing about the movie that I liked. It also got great reviews so this post is just one in a million. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions so that means you don't have to listen to me. Go watch the movie and see what you think for yourself!

The Journey
Into the Wild is based on the life story of Christopher McCandless (Emile Hirsch) who is a student at Emory University. After a hard life at home, Chris plans to hitchhike to the Alaskan Wilderness. Along the way, he meets some very interesting people who treat him like family. When Chris makes it to the wilderness, he continues to write in his journal about his journey to the wild. As he gets ready to leave, Chris finds out that the spring thaw has made the once frozen river impossible to cross. He consults a book about plants to see which once are edible. Chris makes a startling discovery that he ate the wrong berries! He continues to write in his journal about his painful end to life.

The Cast
Just because I didn't like the movie doesn't mean that the cast was wasn't good. In fact, I thought the cast of Into the Wild was pretty well cast. Emile Hirsch portrayed Christopher McCandless. Marcia Gay Harden and William Hurt played his parents while Jena Malone played his sister Carine. Brian H. Dierker, Catherine Keener, Hal Holbrook, Zach Galifianakis, Kristen Stewart, and Vince Vaughn all played the people he met throughout his journey.



tag: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Melo said...

Hey, I agree. In fact, wrote something similar myself. I'm glad that as a teenager you can see further than the ones who are making this story into a "cult" of sorts and calling him a "hero" and trivializing the word.

Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

I think that what you wrote is amazing and very mature. I like your perspective.